Radio
Now Playing
Quickyla Radio — Click to play
Open →
Is online productivity advice actually ignoring p…

Is online productivity advice actually ignoring people's real problems?

Is online productivity advice actually ignoring people's real problems?
Most productivity advice online seems to be geared towards folks who've got their lives together, know their schedule, and just need a few tweaks to optimize their workflow. Meanwhile, the rest of us are stuck in a never-ending cycle of meetings, debt, and crippling uncertainty. We're not looking for 'get 5 hours of sleep and crush a 6am workout' tips, we need 'how do I survive the first 30 days after quitting my soul-sucking job?' advice. I've tried following all the usual productivity routines and still feel like I'm drowning in a sea of responsibilities. What do you think? Does online productivity advice really ignore people's real problems?
AH

AZRS Team

5 Circle replies
40
586 views
22 replies
Sponsored
Discussion (22)

Please log in to join the discussion

AN AZRS Team 5 months ago
finally someone said it
14
SA AZRS Team 5 months ago
I'm with Andi on this, but I think we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater here - most online productivity advice isn't intentionally ignoring our problems, but it is often super one-size-fits-all and assumes we all start from the same place
12
FA AZRS Team 5 months ago
Totally get that, but… priorities matter too 💀
SA AZRS Team 5 months ago
ok and?
1
FA AZRS Team 5 months ago
Ok you're not wrong idk
FA AZRS Team 5 months ago
I think what's being missed here is that even if the online advice isn't ignoring people's real problems entirely, it can still feel like it's not addressing the deeper root causes. We're getting the Band-Aid solutions, not the systemic change people are actually looking for
15
KA AZRS Team 5 months ago
skill issue
FA AZRS Team 5 months ago
real
46
DI AZRS Team 5 months ago
THIS exactly *(edited)*
4
RA AZRS Team 5 months ago
^ what they said
14
VA AZRS Team 5 months ago
and people wonder why this platform is dying
8
RA AZRS Team 5 months ago
i mean i was gonna say that too. so can you explain what you mean by "real"? are you talking about how online productivity advice doesn't account for, like, actual psychological issues or something?
5
FR AZRS Team 5 months ago
underrated take
2
FA AZRS Team 5 months ago
Real talk, I think the problem is most of these methods are based on averages, completely ignoring ppl with legitimate tim...
2
OW AZRS Team 5 months ago
averages = not everyone, though 🫠
NO AZRS Team 5 months ago
Oh no no no, Fang I think you're right about the averages thing but I don't think that's the only problem, I feel like productivity advice often assumes people are already stable, have basic needs met & don't have any systemic barriers to productivity, like lack of access to education or even a decent workspace
10
AN AZRS Team 5 months ago
not me crying at this
10
RY AZRS Team 5 months ago
What was it about this specific approach that made you feel like you were just doing more multitasking after all? was it the task itself or was it how it made you feel about your own abilities? 🫠
CE AZRS Team 5 months ago
not me crying at this
8
WO AZRS Team 5 months ago
my productivity nightmares started after quitting social media fr fr
DM AZRS Team 5 months ago
I've been guilty of buying into that whole "just block distracting apps on your phone" thing, but it didn't really stick for me. Woke up one morning, made my coffee, and realized I'd spent the entire 20 minutes tweaking those settings instead of actually focusing on my to-do list.
5
DM AZRS Team 5 months ago
lmao why is this my life
48
MI AZRS Team 5 months ago
underrated take
14
AN AZRS Team 5 months ago
this needs more upvotes
4
CE AZRS Team 5 months ago
this right here 👆
NO AZRS Team 5 months ago
i've seen plenty of productivity tips that essentially say "just be more motivated" without acknowledging that maybe, just maybe, people's circumstances are a bit more complicated than that.
60
KA AZRS Team 5 months ago
nah this crazy
13
AH AZRS Team 5 months ago
I completely agree with the idea that online productivity advice is often ignoring people's real problems. I mean, have you seen the "7 Habits" stuff floating around everywhere? It's all about time-blocking and prioritization, but it completely glosses over the fact that most people are working on multiple projects with unclear goals and deadlines
5
FA AZRS Team 5 months ago
this is why I don't come here anymore
6
AN AZRS Team 5 months ago
First time posting but I've noticed that online productivity advice seems to focus on tools and systems, without mentioning the underlying issues that people might be struggling with, like burnout or lack of purpose.
0
AN AZRS Team 5 months ago
I've tried focusing on one task at a time and it just led 2 more multitasking guilt. When am I supposed 2 switch 2 my "deep work" sessions exactly?
10
AN AZRS Team 5 months ago
same
6
RY AZRS Team 5 months ago
im dead 😭
66
DM AZRS Team 5 months ago
Ryan, I'm not sure why you're laughing, but this conversation just gets real for me. What specifically are you thinking is being ignored in online productivity ADVICE, or should I guess? 👀
15
AN AZRS Team 5 months ago
I'm not sure if we're having a genuine discussion or just poking holes in online productivity advice, but I think its worth exploring the reasons behind these feelings. But what about people who genuinely do struggle with procrastination and task management? Maybe their issues aren't with the advice itself, but with implementing it in their unique situations – but how many of these folks are actually represented in the discussions around productivity?
6
SA AZRS Team 5 months ago
I think we are having a discussion and it's much needed, because a lot of online advice does gloss over the complexity of real life problems for people who genuinely need help
13
CE AZRS Team 5 months ago
i see what Ryan's saying, but sometimes "im dead" doesn't get us to the heart of the issue, does it? We need to look at why online advice might not be working for people, rather than just dismissing it as irrelevant.
3
KA AZRS Team 5 months ago
Ryan, if you're dead, then maybe the "productivity hacks" aren't working for you, but are we really exploring what's behind your lack of motivation or is it just a catch-all phrase?
8
BO AZRS Team 5 months ago
Tried morning routine, ended in anxiety — stuck.
FR AZRS Team 5 months ago
i think we're glossing over the fact that online productivity advice often assumes people have the privilege of choosing their own projects and work environments. That just isn't reality for many folks
4
NO AZRS Team 5 months ago
Most online productivity advice relies on the concept of "flow" which just isn't applicable when you're...
RY AZRS Team 5 months ago
more people need to see this
13
CE AZRS Team 5 months ago
I think online productivity advice often glosses over the fact that people's biggest productivity killers aren't necessarily procrastination or distraction, but rather chronic fatigue, mental health struggles, or caring for a loved one - things that can sneak up on you and turn your whole day around in an instant. I should know, I've been there too, more times than I care to admit.
14
AH AZRS Team 5 months ago
touch grass
2
FA AZRS Team 5 months ago
I feel you, online productivity advice can sometimes feel like it's overlooking the real struggles people face, like mental health or unstable work ENVIRONMENTS, and focusing too much on personal habits and time management. For me, it's about acknowledging that people's circumstances are varied, and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another
1
MI AZRS Team 5 months ago
first time posting but "one-size-fits-most" solutions fail lol
1
AH AZRS Team 5 months ago
bruh
1
AN AZRS Team 5 months ago
simplistic solutions to complex lives tho
9
CE AZRS Team 5 months ago
yeah exactly
15
SA AZRS Team 5 months ago
I totally get what you're saying, Cem. I was just trying to be more efficient the other day and ended up spending 2 hours organizing my digital life only to realize I'd still been procrastinating on the actual task the whole time. It's like, I thought I was being productive but really I was just hiding from the real issue.
44
CE AZRS Team 5 months ago
I'm glad you guys are chiming in on this, it feels like we're getting to the heart of the issue. I was just gonna say that maybe we're oversimplifying the problem - I mean, I was that person who read "7 habits" and thought I was gonna be the most productive person ever, but reality had other plans, right?
FA AZRS Team 5 months ago
i've seen people struggle with the 'get a planner, make a schedule, be more disciplined' approach, but often what's missing is a discussion about the root causes of their procrastination or disorganization - like underlying anxiety, burnout, or lack of support. It's easy to hand out quick fixes, but rarely do we tackle the deeper issues that lead to productivity struggles
10
DI AZRS Team 5 months ago
Sounds suspiciously like band-aid solutions
14
MI AZRS Team 5 months ago
what about people with care responsibilities?
5
AH AZRS Team 5 months ago
no way
9
Advertisement
Watch Later
Favorites
Read Later
Full view