Radio
Now Playing
Quickyla Radio — Click to play
Open →
3 min left
Back to News

Yemeni army strikes Houthis after escalation

The Yemeni government launched retaliatory strikes on Houthi positions after intensified attacks, warning of broader conflict if escalation continues. Renewed fighting risks disrupting aid to famine …

Yemeni army warns Houthis after attacks heighten escalation risk
Al Jazeera — 9 August 2026
Text:
44 0 0

Yemen’s internationally-recognised government said on Monday it had launched retaliatory strikes against Houthi positions after the Iran-backed group intensified attacks on military targets across the country. The government described the strikes as “necessary defensive measures,” warning that any further escalation would trigger a broader confrontation. Houthi officials did not immediately comment, but the group has repeatedly accused the Yemeni army and its Saudi-led coalition backers of ongoing aggression.

The latest flare-up comes after months of sporadic fighting in Yemen’s north and east, where the Houthis have launched drone and missile strikes targeting airbases, government facilities, and infrastructure. The government accuses Iran of supplying advanced weapons to the Houthis, allowing them to expand their range and precision. Analysts say the escalation reflects a breakdown in fragile ceasefire talks brokered last year, with both sides blaming each other for violating truce terms. The UN has warned that renewed large-scale fighting could derail aid deliveries to millions already suffering from famine and disease.

Military sources told local media that at least three Houthi training camps in Marib and Al-Jawf were hit in the overnight raids, with reports of civilian casualties in surrounding areas. The Yemeni army claimed it destroyed several drones and missile launchers, but independent verification remains limited due to restricted access. International observers have expressed concern that the tit-for-tat violence could spill over into wider regional instability, particularly as tensions between Iran and Gulf states remain high.

What happens next may depend on whether either side signals willingness to return to negotiations. The Houthis have previously used battlefield gains to extract political concessions, while the Yemeni government insists it will not tolerate further attacks on its sovereignty. Diplomatic efforts led by Oman and the UN have stalled, leaving civilians caught in the crossfire. With food prices rising and health services collapsing, aid groups warn that even a short escalation could push millions closer to disaster.

Read Full Story at Al Jazeera →
Advertisement
React:
Sources
Sponsored

More to Read

North Korea launches second ballistic missile test in less …
⚔️ War & Conflict
North Korea launches second ballistic missile test in less than a week
France 24 · 6 days ago
Iran demands US lift sanctions to reopen Strait of Hormuz
⚔️ War & Conflict
Iran demands US lift sanctions to reopen Strait of Hormuz
Al Jazeera · 9 days ago
Why genocide keeps repeating in Sudan
⚔️ War & Conflict
Why genocide keeps repeating in Sudan
Al Jazeera · 14 days ago
Sanguinetti directs poetic debut on childhood in Argentina
🎬 Entertainment
Sanguinetti directs poetic debut on childhood in Argentina
Variety · 7 days ago
Iran war live: Trilateral Mecca defence pact signed, as Hor…
🌍 World News
Iran war live: Trilateral Mecca defence pact signed, as Hormuz deal looms
Al Jazeera · 10 days ago
Saudi intelligence chief meets Iraqi PM, renews Riyadh visi…
🌍 World News
Saudi intelligence chief meets Iraqi PM, renews Riyadh visit invitation
Al Jazeera · 10 days ago
Full view